Daniel has over 20 years of state and federal court experience representing defendants, plaintiffs and insurance carriers through litigation and trial. His civil practice includes defending clients against claims of wrongful death, general liability, premises liability, bad faith, construction defect, toxic torts, elder abuse, real property, quiet title actions, malicious prosecution, declaratory relief actions and insurance coverage disputes. In addition to his California practice, Daniel has also litigated cases in New Hampshire and Florida.
Prior to joining Hickey Smith Dodd, Daniel litigated for a large AV-rated law firm in Ventura County, California focusing on defending human service providers and non-profit entities to verdict in wrongful death, products liability, premises liability and general negligence actions.
Additionally, Daniel’s insurance coverage practice extends to counseling large insurance carriers in several jurisdictions concerning a variety of issues.
- Successful representation of skilled nursing facility resulting in dismissal of lawsuit with prejudice
- Successful representation of insurer in contribution action against another insurer for defense costs and indemnity on motion for summary judgment/ adjudication
- Successful representation of insurance carrier in uninsured motorist claim at arbitration
- Successful representation of commercial absentee landlord in premises liability lawsuit resulting in favorable motion for summary judgment
- Successful representation of adult daycare program in wrongful death action resulting in nuisance value settlement
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of after-school program in assault and battery and premises liability lawsuit and recovered litigation costs from adverse party
- Prevailed at the Court of Appeal appealing trial court’s ruling in anti-Slapp action and recovered attorney’s fees and costs for client
- Defense verdict for client in bench trial in quiet title/adverse possession case
- Filed and successfully argued a motion to compel arbitration in favor of skilled nursing facility in lieu of litigating in superior court
Activities and Membership
- Ventura County Bar Association