As a valued member of the Hickey Smith team, Richard Smith brings more than twenty years of experience as a litigation and advocacy attorney, with substantial experience in transactional law, legal representation, research and litigation. Richard’s diverse background includes representing clients on various matters with a particular expertise in case strategy, including, mediation, arbitration, and drafting and arguing motions.
Richard has represented clients in civil matters focusing on representation of companies as to employment, premises liability, product liability and other civil areas. His ligation experience expands into both State and Federal courts as to criminal, civil, administrative, and appellate matters, arguing before numerous federal, state and local entities, including city and county commissions, Department of Revenue, Workforce Division (i.e., Florida Reemployment Assistance Program), Florida Parole Commission, Florida Clemency Board, Florida Commission on Human Relations, Florida Department of Administrative Hearings, U.S. Department of Labor, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and others.
Richard also has significant experience providing legal guidance with transactional work and has conducted internal compliance audits and investigations, developed personnel manuals and best practices, and drafted numerous contracts including employment, independent contractor, and restrictive covenant agreements.
- Representation of a national hotel franchisor in numerous cases in Florida including a mass tort action and premises negligence arising from a shooting that occurred at a franchisee’s location.
- Representation of a Southeastern restaurant chain in litigation matters including premises liability and employment issues.
- Representation of a national medical home healthcare services provider in an action involving an employee alleged to have violated a non-compete agreement with her prior employer and in a wrongful death action.
- Representation of several manufacturers in asbestos litigation.
- Representation of school board in numerous lawsuits alleging counts of age and race discrimination.
- Representation of a national food home-delivery service for litigation including a case of alleged sexual harassment.
Published Works and Lectures
- HR Florida Review, Author, “How the Fair Labor Standards Act Can Work for You,” Winter 2010 Issue
- Orange County Bar Association Annual Bar and Bench Conference, Speaker, “New Rules to the FLSA,” April 2016
- Attorney Training Session, “Federal Removal,” 2017
- Live Seminar for Insurance Claims Professionals, “Common Mistakes, Doable Solutions,” 2018
Activities and Membership
Richard is an active member of the Orange County Bar Association.