As an Associate Attorney with Hickey Smith, Maureen Quinn brings over a decade of experience in a broad range of matters to the firm, including FLSA and New York State wage violations; medical malpractice, wrongful death, automobile liability, insurance disputes, RICO violations, contract disputes, defamation, employment disputes, labor law violations, premises liability, collections and landlord-tenant proceedings.
Maureen prides herself on being involved in all aspects of litigation from inception through trial and alternative dispute resolution. Maureen consistently provides the necessary knowledge and guidance resulting in successful outcomes for her clients.
Prior to joining Hickey Smith, Maureen’s practice experience at insurance defense firms focused primarily on litigation and representation of commercial businesses, utility companies, municipalities and private individuals covered by insurance carriers. She is also experienced in litigation matters involving premises liability, contract disputes, products liability, labor law, insurance disputes and automobile liability.
As an associate for a commercial litigation firm, Maureen handled a variety of litigation matters in both federal and state courts. She advised clients on day-to-day management of their healthcare practices and businesses and handled inquiries involving compliance with state and federal statutes, record retention, HIPAA, physician advertising and employment issues. In addition, Maureen drafted documents and contracts related to employee procedure and policy, website disclaimers, and property purchases.
Maureen also worked as a law intern for the Honorable Kenneth A. Davis, JSC with the New York State Supreme Court, Nassau. She gained considerable knowledge during this period, preparing legal memorandum related to substantive, procedural and evidentiary issues, and developed strong legal research and writing skills performing in-depth research on complex law and procedural matters.
Maureen received her bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Hofstra University and also attended The College of Insurance (now known as St. John’s School of Risk Management), where she gained proficiency in various insurance matters. Maureen earned her Juris Doctorate from Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center. While attending law school, she was the recipient of multiple honors, including a Cali Award for Academic Excellence in Family Law, Family Law Clinic, and Products Liability.
- Successfully defended a class action FLSA action, discrimination employment litigation before Federal Court, Eastern District of New York;
- Successfully handled administrative appeals on denials of healthcare benefits by insurers and Medicare;
- Provided defense on multiple, complex employment and discrimination claims filed with the New York State Division of Human Rights;
- Represented parties in diverse matters involving general liability, construction in New York State labor law, premises and automobile liability in both civil and federal courts;
- Successfully tried cases to verdict in Bronx, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties, New York;
- Appeared and resolved cases at arbitrations and mediations;
- Successfully briefed and argued appeals before the Appellate Term and the Appellate Division, Supreme Court, Second Department of the State of New York.
Activities and Membership
- New York State Trial Academy
- Touro Law School Alumni Association