Martha Vasquez has more than 13 years of litigation experience and has handled more than 200 trials and arbitrations. For nearly a decade, Martha has focused her litigation practice primarily on insurance defense work on behalf of several insurance carriers. She has extensive experience handling insurance defense cases from inception to conclusion.
She handles all phases of insurance defense litigation in the areas of general liability, premises liability, auto accidents, trucking and transportation, construction accidents, restaurant liability, excess insurance monitoring, insurance coverage and subrogation claims in both New Jersey and New York.
Martha is a former Assistant District Attorney with the Bronx County District Attorney’s Office and a former Assistant Attorney General with the New York State Attorney General’s Office. She has prosecuted a wide variety of criminal matters, including cases concerning organized crime and conspiracies, cases concerning narcotics schemes, and cases concerning insurance fraud.
- Successfully recovered $900,000 in a subrogation matter on behalf of a London-based insurer that previously paid out nearly $1.1 million dollars.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of a security company that was sued for negligence in connection with a sexual assault attack. Successfully proved liability rested predominantly with the property owner and not with the security company.
- Obtained summary judgment in a premises liability matter on behalf of an industrial hardware store.
- Represented a significant general contractor in the New York/New Jersey Tri-State area against a personal injury claim brought by a subcontractor allegedly injured at the work site, and obtained a favorable settlement.
- Defended several major food chain restaurants against a variety of premises liability claims.
- Defended several supermarket chains against numerous premises liability claims arising out of alleged slip, trip and/or fall accidents.
- Successfully resolved an action against a nightclub owner in premises liability action involving an alleged slip and fall accident on a staircase.
- Represented insurance carriers in several Hurricane Sandy property damage claims, obtaining dismissals in some and favorable settlements in others.
- Defended insurance carrier in declaratory judgment action in which plaintiff sought defense and indemnification.
Activities and Membership
Super Lawyers rated Martha as a Top Attorney Rising Star in New Jersey in 2013. Martha is a former arbitrator for the New York State Small Claims Court in Bronx County, NY. She is an active member of the Bergen County Bar Association and is fluent in Spanish.