Joseph Green is an experienced trial lawyer who has successfully handled over 100 civil jury trials to verdict. Mr. Green has personally managed, developed, and overseen recent cases involving catastrophic injury, ERISA, discrimination claims, and False Claim Act claims as well as general commercial and real estate disputes.
Before joining Hickey Smith, Mr. Green served a senior litigation counsel to a firm providing general counsel services to highly skilled building, construction, and heavy equipment operators and represented municipal related entities at trial. Prior to that, Mr. Green was a Senior Associate at a “New York Top 100” litigation firm where he was responsible for first chair representation of the firm’s clients.
Mr. Green also serves as an Associate Village Judge, where he manages a diverse calendar of Felony and Misdemeanor cases as well as other matters. He has developed a unique insight into trial practice by serving as a judge on a number of trials, both jury and non-jury.
- Achieved defense trial verdict on behalf of City Transit Authority, convincing Kings County, New York jury that plaintiff was not actually on the bus at the time of the accident.
- Achieved favorable damages jury verdict, far below offer made prior to trial, in case involving claim against property owner under New York Labor Law and contractor’s failure to provide proper protections on circular saw which amputated fingers.
- Achieved defense trial verdict on behalf of large private roadway contractor accused of negligent staging of roadway construction site in Brooklyn, New York by successfully arguing entitlement to heightened negligence standard usually only applicable to acts of government.
- Trial representation of newly built 20 floor property located in New York City’s Flatiron neighborhood, successfully defending client at trial at Supreme Court, Kings County from sub-contractor’s claim for contract and unjust enrichment and successfully defending appeal to the New York, Appellate Division, 2nd Dept.
- Representation of large municipal entity in lengthy construction related catastrophic injury case at Supreme Court, Bronx County involving both defense of primary negligence claim and cross claims of contractual and indemnity issues.
- Representation of accounting firm securing dismissal of fiduciary duty claims made at Supreme Court, Queens County on behalf of widow of former business partner.
- Representation of ERISA Benefit Fund at Southern District of New York and successful negotiation of settlement of claim arising from allegation of misstatement of plan made to widow by administrative employee.
- Successfully negotiated settlements in litigation involving New York Real Property Law claims, ultimately acquiring favorable license deals allowing various clients to erect protective measures while building on adjacent properties
- Representation of investigation targets in New York State criminal investigation into perceived large scale “double dipping” of wages by its employees, ultimately developing successful defense narrative based on language of complex collective bargaining agreement and unreliable record keeping by municipalities.
- Representation of construction trade union against State and City False Claim Act claims.
- Represented construction employee, successfully drafting summary judgment and defending on appeal before Southern District of New York and United States 2nd Circuit for claim of gender discrimination at the 2nd Avenue tunnel site.
- Represented numerous construction trade unions against claims of discrimination and failure to meet the duty of fair representation at various construction sites in both individual and class action context.