Joel Ray brings more than 20 years of experience in insurance defense and complex commercial litigation to the clients of Hickey Smith Dodd, including the areas of premises liability defense, personal injury defense, and medical malpractice.
As in-house counsel for a New York City land developer, Joel practiced law in the areas of landlord-tenant law, commercial litigation, hotel violations, building trademarks, patents and appeals, trademark prosecution and litigation, and evictions.
Having worked for both small and mid-sized defense firms as well as in roles such as a small claims court arbitrator, Joel provides knowledge and expertise in a wide range of practice areas:
- Administrative hearings
- Bankruptcy and collections
- Construction site accidents
- Criminal and civil matters
- Matrimonial and divorce law
- Mechanics liens
- Medical and dental malpractice
- Residential and commercial landlord-tenant law
Joel is also well versed in copyrights, trademark prosecution, trademark litigation, patent prosecution, and patents and trademark filings. He is a Registered Patent Attorney, Registration No.: 56,918.
- Represented a property owner from a false claim of personal injury under the New York’s labor law.
- Represented a property owner in protecting its trademark from infringers in Florida at both the USPTO and the infringement action that established a precedent in the Southern District of Florida.
- Represented a national distributor of firearms regarding third-party liability as to gun violence.