Jennifer R. Loyd, Senior Counsel with Hickey Smith LLP, handles cases from inception through trial and has achieved favorable outcomes through verdicts, settlement negotiation, alternative dispute resolution and dispositive motion practice.
Jennifer has defended cases on behalf of a variety of entities, including commercial building owners and property management companies; business, hotel and restaurant owners; general contractors and sub-contractors; and New York State and City municipal entities. Jennifer concentrates her practice in construction and labor law, premises liability, insurance coverage, medical malpractice, product liability, negligent security, catastrophic automobile/commercial trucking, employment and complex commercial litigation. Jennifer has successfully first-chaired many civil and criminal trials throughout her career.
Prior to joining Hickey Smith, Jennifer practiced law in the large firm environment, most recently as a Partner with Litchfield Cavo LLP, and prior to that as a Partner with Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP.
Ms. Loyd also served as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office where she prosecuted felony and misdemeanor cases, including homicide, gun, drug possession and financial crimes, prior to entering private practice.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a premises liability trial on behalf of a national property management company at a newspaper production facility
- Prevailed on a Motion to Dismiss on behalf of an international hotel and its security staff, resulting in the dismissal of claims for assault, battery, false imprisonment, wrongful eviction, civil rights violations and negligence
- Prevailed at oral argument on a Motion for Summary Judgment on behalf of several municipal transit entities, resulting in the dismissal of alleged New York State Labor Law and common law negligence claims at a large-scale subway construction project
- Prevailed on a Motion to Dismiss against a property owner at a community development project, successfully arguing that the homeowner’s exemption to New York State Labor Law was applicable
- Successfully defended a commercial trucking company at a trial in which a traumatic brain injury was alleged after truck struck a low bridge
- Successfully defended a state municipal entity in a case alleging over $15 million in damages due to alleged faulty traffic control devices at a construction project
- Successfully defended numerous commercial property owners and development companies in premises liability cases alleging significant damages due to Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
Published Work and Lectures
- American Bar Association, Author, “Second Circuit Rules in Insurance Warranty Case”, January 2019
- Client Presentation, Panelist/Speaker, “Issues in Additional Insured Coverage and Risk Management in a Post-Burlington Landscape”, January 2019
- New York Law Journal, Co-Author, “The Impact of New York City’s Mandatory Construction Site Safety Training Requirements Under Local Law 196”, May 2018
- American Bar Association, Author, “A Recent Lesson in Expert Selection for MDL Cases from the Second Circuit”, February 2018
- American National 2017 Claims/Litigation Training Conference, Speaker, “Defending Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Cases – A Legal and Claims Guide”, June 2017
- Client Presentation, Speaker, “Potential Ramifications of Early Settlement With Plaintiffs in Complex Cases”, October 2016
- National Webinar, Speaker, “The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Personal Injury Litigation: A Plan to Defend Against Claims for Future Medical Costs, Life Care Plans and Loss of Health Insurance”, May 2014 and December 2014
Activities and Membership
- Jennifer is an active member of the American Bar Association.