As Senior Counsel for Hickey Smith, Jean Hamer brings more than fifteen years of experience as a litigation and advocacy attorney, with proven expertise in legal representation, research and litigation. Jean’s diverse background includes representing clients on various matters with a particular focus in insurance related matters, including civil litigation, mediation, arbitration, drafting and arguing dispositive motions, and performing extensive legal research.
Jean earned her juris doctorate in 2001 from Villanova University, School of Law, and began her legal career as a judicial law clerk with the Connecticut Superior Court. In private practice, she has handled personal injury defense, debt consolidation and debtor’s rights; as well as providing per diem services for local and national law firms. During this period, she gained extensive knowledge conducting research and writing complex briefs, and attending court proceedings, including arguing motions at short calendar, pre-trial conferences, and court ordered arbitrations.
Jean served as Managing Attorney for active Hartford law firm where she was responsible for supervision of a legal team that managed cases in litigation as well as all pre-suit claims. She was responsible for all aspects of claims from initial contact with client, to settlement negotiations, mediation, and trial. She has represented and advised clients at all phases of trial and has counseled clients on risk avoidance strategies and best practices.
In addition to legal practice, Jean is actively engaged in the community. Jean is a Middle School Mock Trial Coach at St. Rita’s School in Hamden, CT and serves as a leader for the Apple Valley 4H Club in Southington, CT. Jean is also a Certified Kundalini Yoga instructor.
- Independently and successfully managed caseload of motor vehicle accident, premises/product liability, dram shop, insurance and real estate errors and omissions, and small claims cases; evaluated cases for trial/settlement.
- Utilized expertise in automobile accident and premises liability cases to successfully advise clients on case strategies and resolution.
- Conducted multiple complex litigation for construction cases, personal injury (premises and motor vehicle accident), errors and omissions (insurance agent and architect), products liability and employment discrimination cases.
Activities and Membership
- St. Rita’s School, Middle School Mock Trial Coach, CT
- Apple Valley 4H Leader, CT